1 1/4 pounds pork loin
1 large onion, sliced
1 clove garlic
1 green bell pepper, sliced
2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cups masa harina
1 1/4 cups cooking liquid reserved from pork
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup crisco
1 (8 ounce) package dried corn husks
1 cup sour cream
1. Place pork into a Dutch oven with onion and garlic, and add water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until the meat is cooked through, about 2 hours.
2. Drain pot and reserve liquid for the dough. Shredded pork lion and mix back into onions and peppers.
3. Soak the corn husks in a bowl of warm water. In a large bowl, beat the crisco with a tablespoon of the broth until fluffy. Combine the masa harina, baking powder and salt; stir into the lard mixture, adding more broth as necessary to form a spongy dough.
4. Spread the dough out over the corn husks to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness. Place one tablespoon of the meat filling into the center. Fold the sides of the husks in toward the center and place in a steamer. Steam for 1 hour.
5. Remove tamales from husks and drizzle chile sauce over them. Top with sour cream. For a creamy sauce, mix sour cream into the chile sauce