Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Pineapple Coconut Bars


I saw this in Paula Deen's magazine. They look delicious. I have adapted it to be gf but have not tried to make it. I just thought it looked like an intresting dessert to try for coconut week on the menu swap.

Ingredients
• 3 1/2 cups my adapted bob red mills panckake mix (see note below)
• 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
• 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
• 1 cup butter, divided
• 1 cup sugar
• 3 large eggs
• 1(20ounce)can crushed pineapple, drained
• toasted flaked coconut, garnish
Directions
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees; lightly grease a 13x9-inch baking pan.
2 In large bowl, combine 2 1/2 cups pancake mix, coconut, and brown sugar
3 Using a pastry blender, cut in 1/2 cup butter until mixture is crumbly.
4 Reserve 1 cup crumb mixture for topping.
5 Press remaining crumb mixture evenly into bottom of prepared pan.
6 Bake for 10 minutes.
7 In medium bowl, beat remaining 1/2 cup butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
8 Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
9 Gradually beat in remaining 1 cup flour.
10 Stir in pineapple.
11 Spread mixture evenly over baked layer.
12 Sprinkle evenly with reserved crumb mixture.
13 Bake for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
14 Let cool completely before cutting into squares.
15 Garnish with toasted flaked coconut, if desired


note: I mix one package of bob red mills pancake mix with 1/2 cup powdered milk, 1/2 cup almond meal, and 1/2 box of pectin. I think pamelas baking mix would work nice but since I dont have it available to me I adapted what I had.

Ok I made these and very tastey. The only thing I would change is the amoint of butter in the recipe. I found it a little to heavy but very yummy, a definite make again recipe.

No comments: